Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pet Peeves

Yesterday I put another 5 miles on my shoes – and right on schedule this time! After work I decided to run the Lansing River Trail, which I assume with be part of the half marathon course. There were numerous walkers, runners and bikes on the trail enjoying the beautiful weather, which was nice to see. I really wanted to focus on just running and not thinking too much about my pace or mileage, but within seconds of turning my IPod on, the battery died. Without the distraction of music, I was obsessing about the details again. Fortunately, this run went better than my last 10 mile run. Unfortunately, I didn’t feel that great about it either. I feel slow and heavy, like I have cinder blocks strapped to my feet.

To the lady in the neon pink shorts riding her bike: Just because I run on the far right side of the walkway giving you access to both your lane and 75% of mine doesn’t mean you should ride on MY side of the yellow line. You have at least 4 feet of your own space on YOUR side of the yellow line. Maybe we need a class to teach bikers what the yellow line means. Come on, respect my personal space lady – PERSONAL SPACE!

To the numerous community members out walking their dogs: Dog + River Walk = LEASH! No, your dog is not so fantastic that he doesn’t need to be on a leash. Honestly, I’m glad your dog isn’t overly wild or aggressive – but all dogs should be on a leash when walking on a public trail where there are tons of other people and animals going in multiple directions at different speeds. No, I don’t want your dog to chase after me – even if he is friendly and you assure me he won’t bite. Trust me, I’m not just concerned about my own safety – I’m concerned about the safety of your dog. If he licks me when I’m stretching or chases me down again, your dog’s life will be in danger. Consider this your warning.

To the four young men running without shirts: Thank you for distracting me long enough to get me through the last mile of my run. Could I possibly hire you to run about 10 steps ahead of me during the CCRR? Talk about motivation!

Run In Review:
Miles: 5
Pace: 12:00

1 comment:

  1. omg. Your becoming a running diva! I hardly ever see people out on my "trail" in the mornings ( except for one Sunday, three people walking with their pitbulls! But they would walk way out of their way to avoid me! )

    I have the cider block feeling too! Maybe if I went on a diet...

    ReplyDelete