Monday, September 20, 2010

One.More.Week

On Thursday I headed out for my 5 mile run and was feeling very good. The weather was cool and by the time I finished mile 1 I realized I was running way too fast – under a 10:30 mile (typically, this is not considered ‘fast’, but let me call it what I want!). I kept telling myself to slow down, but it wasn’t working so I stopped looking at my watch and just ran. In the end, I ran an overall 11:00 minute per mile pace – a whole minute per mile faster than I am planning to run the race. I was impressed!

My last “long” run before the race took place on Sunday, and the weather was beautiful again. I didn’t feel quite as good as I did on my last 5 mile run, but I kept moving. During the first four miles I was chased by five different dogs. Seriously? I obviously have a problem with dogs. I started thinking that maybe in a previous life I was a dog catcher or the leader of a dog fighting ring... Ok, maybe that is a little extreme, but I had a lot of time to think!

I also had several thoughts on how I could potentially stop these dogs from chasing me:
1. Get a bigger, vicious dog and take him along on runs
Let’s face it – I’d rather be chased than have a dog at home to take care of!

2. Carry a club/stick/cane
Animal cruelty – I know, I know

3. Pepper spray
Will it work on dogs? I doubt PETA would approve…

4. Place notes in each of the dog owner’s mailboxes asking them to control their pets.
The Post Office seriously frowns upon putting items in other people’s mailboxes - ok, maybe they consider it a Federal Offense...

5. Call the township and report each resident that is not following the leash law.
Considering I’ve only lived in the area about 7 months and still don’t know most of the neighbors, maybe I shouldn’t make them mad just yet!

Maybe I should look into alternative running routes for the time being…

Runs in review:
Miles: 5
Pace: 11:00
Miles: 8
Pace: 11:55

Upcoming Week:
Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 4 Miles
Wednesday: 3 Miles
Thursday: 2 Miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest (attend wedding and TRY not to injure self in heels)
Sunday: CAPITAL CITY RIVER RUN

1 comment:

  1. I vote for pepper spray. Seriously. Maybe go to the pet store and get a pet friendly brand.

    You are going to be great on Sunday! Yay!

    ReplyDelete